Things are Getting Spooky at Baking Club!
This week at baking club, children made spooky Halloween gingerbread biscuits, decorated with raisins, sunflower seeds and cherries.
The recipe is below if you would like to have a go at home!
350g/12oz plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
1 free-range egg
4 tbsp golden syrup
1. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon into a bowl. Add the butter and mix in with your fingertips until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
2. Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together, add to the dry ingredients and mix until the mixture clumps together.
3. Tip the dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in clingfim and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
5. Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm/¼in thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using cutters, cut out the gingerbread shapes and place on the baking tray, leaving a gap between them. Use raisins and cherries to decorate.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling.