For the topping
50g softened butter
50g light soft brown sugar
7 pineapples rings in syrup, drained.
1 tbsp golden syrup
For the cake
100g softened butter
100g golden caster sugar
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pineapple upside down cake
Cook: 35 mins
Before you start:
Put on apron
Tie hair back
Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4
1. For the topping, mix together the butter and sugar
2. Beat until creamy.
3. Spread over the base and a quarter of the way up the sides of a 20-21cm round cake tin.
4. Arrange pineapple rings on top, then place cherries in the centres of the rings.
5. Place the cake ingredients (shown above) into a bowl together with 1 tbsp of golden syrup and, using an electric whisk, beat to a soft consistency.
6. Spoon into the tin on top of the pineapple and smooth it out so it’s level.
7. Bake in oven for 35 minutes.
8. Leave to stand for 5 mins, then turn out onto a plate. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream