500g plain flour
230g icing sugar
¾ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
Zest of 2 large lemons
140g cold diced butter
240ml double cream
Sprinkle of salt
Granulated sugar to sprinkle
Lemon & poppyseed scones
Cook: 22 - 25 mins
Before you start:
Put on apron
Tie hair back
Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5
1. Zest the large lemons.
2. Combine the flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until the dry ingredients are well-mixed.
3. Add the lemon zest and poppy seeds and mix everything again until the zest and seeds disappear into the flour.
4. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients using your fingers. Stop when it is just combined and you have a mixture of sizes of pieces of butter.
5. Now pour in the cream slowly, mixing as you go.
6. Turn the scone dough out onto a floured work surface, and knead it together gently. Don’t work it too much, or the scones will be tough.
7. Cut into wedges or shapes with a cutter.
8. Brush the tops of the scones with a little cream or milk, then sprinkle them with a generous dusting of granulated sugar.
9. Bake the scones in the preheated oven for 22-25 minutes, until they are puffed, with a crackly top and golden brown edges.
10. If required, make a glaze using icing sugar and lemon juice to add to the scones once cooled.